FAQ | Rowan Fitzgerald Auctioneers

Energy Rating FAQ’s

A BER is a system which compares the efficiency of a building. The rating goes from A1 being the highest to G being the lowest.

New Houses: For all new houses for which planning permission was applied for on or following 01.01.2007. Transitional BER exemptions will be required for new houses where permission was sought on or before 31.12.2006, where the house in question is substantially completed on or before 30.06.2008.

New Non-Domestic Buildings: A BER is required for new non-domestic buildings where planning permission was applied for on or following 01.07.2008. Transitional BER exemptions will be required for new non-domestic buildings where planning permission was applied for on or previous to 30.06.2008 provided the premises in question is substantially completed by 30.06.2010.

Existing Buildings: These properties will need a BER when offered for rent or put on the market for sale on or after 01.01.2009.

It will last 10 years as and from the date it was issued. However, if there are changes made to the building such as an extension added or new heating system installed, for example, advise should be sought as to whether you need a new BER.

With regard to a brand new dwelling, the fee is payable by the builder or developer. In relation to existing buildings or second-hand properties, the owner is responsible.

Landlord FAQ’s

In Ireland the norm is that property do come furnished, however, there is, of course, a market for unfurnished property. The choice is yours.

No, 99% of the time in residential tenancies, bed linen is not supplied.

A very important question. Having your property well equipped is essential. A kitchen should have at least, a decent sized fridge freezer(not an under counter unit), Cooker, Hob, Expel Air, Dishwasher, Washing Machine and a Dryer(or a Washerdryer). There should be at least one electric shower in the property if at all possible the electric shower is better if it is in the main bathroom as this room will probably be used more often than an en-suite. Standard appliances such as kettle, toaster etc are also expected. It is highly advised not to hold back on spending money on the appliances in your premises as it could be the difference between your rental property and “the one down the road.”


We would normally recommend that a television is not included. The reason for this is to eliminate any confusion over who might be responsible for the television license if it ever were to arise.


RF Auctioneers would always recommend that your contents are covered.


Tenants possessions are not usually covered under the Landlords policy and it would be advisable that tenants take out their own insurance policy.

The Landlord is responsible for any repairs in the property(as long as they are not deliberate of course), during a tenancy, if the washing machine, for example, were to break down, the Tenant would inform the Landlord and in-turn, the Landlord should employ a tradesman to rectify the problem.


Yes, we recommend that all tenancies are registered as this is the law. RF Auctioneers complete the application form for you, the Landlord, to sign and forward to the PRTB. For more invaluable information on how we would put in place the formalities of your tenancy agreement, contact RF Auctioneers. Look forward to hearing from you.